Friday, October 19, 2012

Life of being a nanny

I came in this country with my sister May of 2000, it was difficult at first. Especially living your country, friends and family. But you do, what you have to do right? As a Filipino, helping your family is a priority. We always think how we can give them a better life. That's why I'm here!

My mother don't want me to leave my country, because she knows me well. I got good job back home and my mom don't want me to quit. But who don't wanna go to America? I bit everybody would. I keep hearing this saying "America is the land of milk and honey" but in my opinion America is a "land of sacrifices" specially to a foreigner like me. I started a job as a housekeeper in a humongous diplomat house, it is taught! Me? a housekeeper! I can't even clean my room back home. I cried so much and wanting to go back home. specially the first time I scrub the bathroom. I can't imagine doing this job. I remember my ex boyfriend use to tell me" what you gonna do there? clean the bathroom? your educated and have a good job! Here they call you ma'am but there you gonna call ma'am". But you know what I said " I know and don't care! but there I gonna make dollars! I don't need to work as hard and I can help my family". So now I'm living the life like everybody does. The first thing I've learned here in the US, is to swallow my pride! I use to deny my job and care so much what other people say. I remember when my boss bought me a uniform to wear, it take months before I put it on. I told my sister "I'm not gonna wear that!" My sister start laughing. She said "I can't wait to see you in this uniform". You know why she laughed, because in the family I'm the sophisticate one. Then one day our boss asked as to put it on, because she wanna see how it looks. So I told my sister that she try it on, but she said " nope lets do it together". So I said OK! after we put it on, we start laughing then tears start flowing. At that moment I felt mix emotions. I can't believed I wore it! But it's not the end of the world, the show just started. So I told my sister " hm mm I look good on it!" then we start laughing again.

Being a housekeeper, is not for me. So I decided to look for a babysitting job. I found one! This job also didn't go well, she is mean! She wants me to care for her 3 children and clean here big house. What is she thinking? I'm not her slave! She has three girls and the older one is exactly the same like her mother. I can't stand this family, so I quit! Then I found a lovely family, she also had three children. But she is different, she's nice. Now I can say "I love this job!" This family treated my as part of their family, I really enjoy working with them. I cared for her three children, cook for them, do their laundry and etc. But do you know why I did everything for her while I call my first nannying job "slavery", because she's nice and treated me well. Here's what I believed, "if your nice I'm more nicer and if your mean I'm more mean". My boss and I click right away, their is no dull moment in this job. They make me happy so I did same.  Kids are all grown so we said goodbye, this is hard! I cried so much. My boyfriend now my husband told me, "why your crying their not yours?" which he doesn't had any clue that in this job we invest our emotions. You can't do this job if you don't have love to give. It's painfully to raise and watch them grow, mold them to be a good kids and then bye-bye!!! Job ended but my relationship with them still intact. Now I'm caring two children, one girl and a boy. Their so cute and sweet! They always makes me smile and every time I see them my day start to glow. I found new family and new love of my life! Their like my own. I love dressing her every morning, playing tea party, princesses etc and I've learn all sort construction trucks, rescue vehicle ,cars etc. Their parents are wonderful and fair. Like what I said in my profile, this job give me purpose and meaningful life. Being a nanny can be stressful but lots of fun. You just need to appreciate your job and love what you do. Best part, love guarantee and travel for free!!! Don't you love being a Nanny?

No comments:

Post a Comment